Friday, February 1, 2008

The Future (1-Feb-2008)

My love gave me an assignment several weeks ago. She prefers prose to poetry because of the way she reads. She thought it would be interesting if there were poems where the words on paired lines had meaning. Of course, I had to give this a try.

Be kind since this is my first attempt at such a form and I know the construction is quite clumsy. I'm not even sure if it's what she had in mind. I also suspect the choice of font is important so I don't know if in the reading you will find the word pairs as it may depend on how your monitor renders it. Personally, I suspect this form would be best suited to paper where the words could be made to stand out by subtle choices in word placement and letter thickness.

If anyone knows of poems that make a similar attempt at this, I would be very interested in reading them.

The Future


A loving couple
Will look to the future;

The warm heart
Will embrace the future;

The passionate man
Will kiss the future.

All that we do
Though we not understand;
All that we fear
Though on the morrow we rise;
All of the future
And all of my past
Brings me love.

No comments: