Saturday, February 16, 2008

The Chasm (15-Jan-2008)

In form, this one is very similar to the poetry I wrote when I was a younger man and I have always liked this style. Altough that might be because I am too lazy to work out poems that rhyme, there is something about the stream-of-consciousness in works like this that attract me to them. They feel like they are being thought at the moment and it gives them an honesty from that rawness. Again, don't sweat the punctuation, it is all intentional.

What's this one about? My love recued me. She took me apart and put me back together the way I was meant to be at a time in my life when I needed it most. This poem is an expression of what she has done for me. The ending is what I had expected from our relationship. Unfortunately, if you are reading the companion blogs, you know that the ending is not quite so happy. That little bird was not as strong as I had hoped and she has fallen into the chasm. I only wish I had been able to do for her what she has done for me.

The Chasm


The gulf, a chasm.
I stand at the edge
Bleeding into the opening.
My life force dripping out.
How can I cross?
Is it too wide?
Will I survive?
Long into the night I stand
Waiting for the sunrise;
Looking for the dawn.

A bird
Small and white,
Gentle and kind,
Lights beside me.
Although the bird looks small and frail,
She is strong.
She flies above me and picks me up.
As she carries me I can feel my own wings grow.
Soon I am able to bear my own weight.
We fly together over the chasm
And into the sunrise.

No comments: